MinesIndoor
Schaubergwerk Sunnpau
St. Veit · Salzburger Sonnenterrasse
34 minRoute
Unlimited free

Unlimited free
SourceOfficial SalzburgerLand Card brochure 2025/26 — “Freier Eintritt sooft Sie wollen”
Show mine near St. Veit about 4,000 years of copper mining, from fire-setting with stone hammers and wooden wedges to gunpowder and dynamite shortly before the tunnel was closed in 1875. Mining here probably began as early as the Neolithic period, which makes Sunnpau one of the oldest mines in Salzburg. It is part of the UNESCO Global Geopark Erz der Alpen, together with the Seelackenmuseum in the same village.
The Schaubergwerk Sunnpau is about 4,000 years of copper mining: from the prehistoric beginnings with stone hammers, wooden wedges and fire-setting, through ore extraction with hammer and chisel in the Middle Ages, to the use of gunpowder in the modern era and, shortly before the tunnel was closed in 1875, dynamite. The beginning of mining probably reaches back to the Neolithic period. That makes the Schaubergwerk Sunnpau one of the oldest mines in Salzburg.
There is a lot to find out, and not only for children: how was the valuable ore extracted in the Bronze Age? Whose are the bones and grave goods that were found in the mine? And what were the Romans doing here in the tunnel?
The Schaubergwerk Sunnpau, together with the Museumsverein St. Veit, is part of the UNESCO Global Geopark Erz der Alpen and shows the development of mining from the Bronze Age to the modern era.
What visitors say
The tour lasts about forty minutes and covers some 4,000 years of mining, from fire-setting with stone hammers and wooden wedges to the use of black powder. The element mentioned most often is the large hall, a Bronze Age excavation whose walls show the traces of two different extraction periods. It is a small mine run by volunteers, without attraction elements such as slides or trains. Mainly of interest to anyone who wants to see something of archaeology and geology; children mostly come away with an impression of how hard the work was.
- · The tours are given by volunteers and are not available every day; arrange the visit in advance.
- · Allow three quarters of an hour, not half a day.
SourceSummarised from public experiences, 2026-08-15.
Opening hours
- 03/05 to 27/09, Wed, Sun 10:00-15:00
“Weitere Informationen, Fotos, ein kurzes Video und aktuelle Öffnungszeiten finden Sie auf unserer Homepage”
SourceBrochure 2025/26